Sunday, July 8, 2012

Window Coffee Table

Several things in life can cause rapid and sudden change in a young man.  Graduating from college, engaging in a career, or finding true love are just a few examples.  My life changed not from these, but from being introduced to Pinterest by my beautiful and very crafty bride to be.  From that moment on, I knew that I would bear the responsibility of making our house into a home by hanging rakes on the wall, making light fixtures from mason jars, and turning old windows into functioning tables.  The list could continue, but that would ruin the blog.  So begins the handyman section, and I will start with the window coffee table.




The materials that I used in this project were mostly purchased at a salvage store called the "Front Porch" here in Greenville, S.C.  It is located off Augusta Rd. near the Church St. intersection and is nestled between my two favorite restaurants, Church's Chicken and Taco Bell (Elizabeth loves them too!).  All kidding aside, this place has tons of windows, shutters, old lumber, and pretty much anything else you would need for this kind of project.  I mean, you could probably just make an entire Pinterest board by randomly snapping photos of the grounds.  I bought a window, two door frame posts, and four old porch banister posts for about $35 dollars.  I also picked up some sweet hardware (some hinges and a knob) that she just threw in for free with everything else.  The project itself was not too difficult and only took me about an hour of build time.  I cut the door frame posts to basically form a box that the window would eventually rest on top of.  After making the box, I used 6 pieces of old pallet wood to form the bottom of the table.  These were spaced evenly and attached with screws. The banister posts were far too long, so I cut them down to a reasonable length and attached them to the bottom.  Attaching the window to the rest of the table was maybe the hardest part.  I used old door hinges that I got from the Front Porch.  The tough part was stabilizing the window and making it even with the rest of the table while screwing down the hinges.  


After some sanding and some white paint, it was ready to be introduced as the nicest piece of furniture in the house (at this time it was still a bachelor pad).  I presented it as a Valentine's Day gift to Elizabeth, and I am happy to report that the table is still standing strong and that she, for some crazy reason, has continued to put up with me.  This was the first of many projects that have turned our house into a unique home that we are so thankful for.  I know I didn't include a ton of detailed instructions and  I couldn't provide a plan for the table because one did not exist.  But if you want more info on how to build it, just give me a shout!

No comments:

Post a Comment