Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sweet Friends and Tupelo Honey Cafe

We have found a new favorite restaurant in Greenville!  Tupelo Honey Cafe opened here about a month ago, and it has definitely been the most recent craze.  We had tried to go to the one in Knoxville back in the winter but it was packed and had too long of a wait for us since we were on the road from Nashville back to Greenville.  We kept thinking, "I know everyone raves about it, but surely it's not THAT good!"  We found out last week that it is worth every minute of the wait!

We decided to finally try it when my good friend Erin and I were planning a double date for us and our husbands.  Double dates were a common occurrence this time a year ago and before, since both couples were engaged.  Erin & I met and became close friends at Clemson and Adam & Rob met and became close friends at PC.  Erin put the bug in my ear a couple of summers ago to consider Rob (even though he didn't pay much attention to me until the end of the summer). ;)  After Rob and I had been dating about three months, we set up Adam & Erin on a blind date, and the rest is history as they say!





Erin and I always enjoy when we can catch up, and even more so now that they live in Clinton.  Part of the fun is in watching and hearing our husbands berate each other (in a loving way of course) for the first hour or so that they're together.  Erin and I just sit back and laugh at them, and they reply, "y'all married us!" to which we answer, "not together!"

Anyway, back to Tupelo Honey...they don't have a ton of seating in the restaurant so we had to wait 20-30 minutes to be seated.  Anthropologie is right around the corner so Erin and I looked around while Rob and Adam braved the impending storm.  We all ducked inside before the bottom dropped out.

Let me just say that the biscuits and honey won us over from the start!  So good I wish I could make them...well, that probably would mean the rapid decline of our health...we'll stick to just eating them when we visit Tupelo Honey.  Rob and Adam then launched into a discussion on how they can't taste differences in types or brands of honey.  Then Rob went off on his latest tirade of how "everything is about perception" and how people buy things just because of the brand name slapped on the side. (He sees this all the time in coffee sales- i.e. Starbucks even though there are much better coffees out there). I keep telling him he hasn't posted on our blog in a year and this should be his next "soapbox" that he posts.  Leave him some love here and maybe he'll be convinced. ;)

Ok, back to the meal.  The menu seemed endless...breakfast, lunch, and supper choices which just means we'll have to come back for the other two meals we missed.  We each settled on something different from the list of entrees: "Not Your Mama's Meatloaf", "Brian's Shrimp and Grits", "Nutty Fried Chicken", and "Sassy Garlic Crusted Char-Grilled Chicken".  Everything was amazing!  Needless to say, we'll be going back again, and if you don't live in Greenville it's worth traveling to if you're not too far away.

My friend Rachel told me that she'd found their recipe for sweet potato pancakes online, so I made those this weekend- AMAZING (and more filling than plain pancakes)!  So try the pancakes or just check out their website and drool!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Tupelo Honey Cafe! Can't wait to go next time we visit Greenville. And I just might have to give the sweet potato pancake recipe a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're getting a Tupelo Honey right around the corner from our house in Charlotte! SO excited. Rob, please post about your soapbox.

    ReplyDelete